Artychoking

Em busca de alcachofras. A blog by Pedro Nunes

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

I was having a tuna sandwich when something went wrong and all of a sudden I was sucked into space. I found myself in the distant galaxy of Valpolicela (no relation) and am using this device to send signals to my earthbound comrades. Because I am confused I often pretend to be Spiff the intergalactic explorer extraordinaire. When I am bored I collect artichokes, therefore the name of this blog.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Tell me more lies...



"That chord does not exist, dude!"

Five years on, 9-11 seems to be posing more questions than when it actually happened. Like any citizen willing to understand a bit more about it, I watched a TV documentary on the so-called Conspiracy Theory. I watched with a mix of disbelief and awe as the documentary progressed taking different steps to suggest that it might have been all part of an internal plot cratfted by the American Central Government and the Intelligence Services. Some of the arguments did not sound credible, namely: that the planes that hit the towers were not commercial and therefore had no passengers other than tripulation and, supposedly, the hijackers; that Flight 93 didn't even take-off and all of its passengers are alive and living somewhere; that Bush's reaction when informed of the attacks looked suspicious - easily dismissed for his acknowledged cluelessness. But then other arguments deserved to be taken seriously: that the hole in the Pentagon did not match the span size of a Boeing 757 and no debris of the plane were ever shown to the public; similarly, no remains of Flight 93 were shown as evidence of a land-crash; that it would take more than a plane crashing the upper floors of the WTC to bring it down in a couple of hours; that Building 7 owner Larry Silverstein had made a bid prior to the attacks which would ensure him important financial gains in case of collapse; not crucial but important, Operation Northwoods (1) was recalled to show that the idea for an internal plot wasn't new in the Department of Defence.

I am not a firm believer of Conspiracy Theory but I do believe that there's more to what happened than we're led to believe in by the mainstream media and Western Governments. Five years on and September the 11th has made a few ones, namely the American Government, the American weapon industry, the Saudi Arabia oil kingdom, Al-Qaeda and the Islam terrorist network, all stronger, while making the rest of the world more vulnerable. And where the hell is Bin-Laden? The latest we heard about him is that he's obsessed with an American singer!

As to how 9-11 impacted on my views of the world, I think that it significantly changed my perception of what has been happening in the Middle-East and in the Islamic world. Before 9-11, I couldn't help but contemplate the troubles in the Middle-East, namely the Palestinian/Israeli conflict, as their problem although I was aware of America's involvement. From then onwards, the places that were so close and familiar to us became part of a one stage conflict and the then distant reality of the Middle-East became our (Westerners) problem.

For an overview of 9-11 Conspiracy Theory read here. For opposing views check here and here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/defense/1227842.html

A well-informed article that debunks 9-11 conspiracy theories.

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/defense/1227842.html

If the link doesn't work, google 9-11 conspiracy theory and it is on the first page.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Nunes said...

That link is available at the very end of my post.

It is the symbiotic effects of 9-11 in powerful groups in America and the Middle-East that has made me suspicious for a long time and, therefore, curious about Conspiracy Theory. Either by consentment or active involvement I believe the American Government played some role in the event that triggered a new era in international politics.

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe Porsche must have had something to do with it. Did anyone care to check the sales of 911 models right after the collapse of the WTC? Is it a coincidence that the sales of the mythic model rocketed during the last 5 years?

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home