Benfica x Celtic


While I was living in Scotland I longed for a clash between these two European giants. Benfica is the team I support unconditionally and also the Portuguese team with more supporters. Celtic is the top Scottish team next to Glasgow Rangers and also my favourite of all the teams in Britain - whenever they may play against the most Portuguese of all the English teams, Chelsea, I know who I will support.
Fate has ruled that Benfica and Celtic would face each other in the Champions League right in the year that I left Scotland back to Portugal. Amazingly, they repeated the same scores as in 1969. As it happened then, Celtic won at Parkhead 3-0 and Benfica had their revenge in Estádio da Luz by beating Celtic with the same score. In 1969 Celtic progressed on the toss of a coin. This time, both teams still have their chances of going through in their qualifying group.
Yesterday's match was made even more special by the Celtic supporters' heartfelt homage to Miki Feher, the Hungarian striker who died in the pitch while playing for Benfica. At home, Celtic supporters are mostly known for their harsh, mutual sectarianism against Rangers'. But abroad they look like the best crowd in football, even celebrating in the eve of a defeat and making beautiful gestures such as this tribute. Cheers to them. Muito obrigado!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home