Artychoking

Em busca de alcachofras. A blog by Pedro Nunes

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

I was having a tuna sandwich when something went wrong and all of a sudden I was sucked into space. I found myself in the distant galaxy of Valpolicela (no relation) and am using this device to send signals to my earthbound comrades. Because I am confused I often pretend to be Spiff the intergalactic explorer extraordinaire. When I am bored I collect artichokes, therefore the name of this blog.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Unwelcome guests


On the same week that Tony Blair announced he would step down to Gordon Brown as Leader of the Labour Party sometime in 2007, I finally found the body of the dead rat which had been causing chaos in my grandfather's vacant flat. I first spotted the bastard from the corner of my eye cruising through the corridor sometime in August. It transpired that it came through the toilet and had been living in the premises for some weeks searching for anything it could chew - it eventually chew wood next to the fridge in the kitchen! - and leaving a trail of poos behind. I left the house - but not without being slightly nervous to the idea that the next time that thing would be a huge monster, staring at me from above, Alien-style. Then I came back, put some poisonous rat food in a few strategic sites and wait for a few days rejoicing at the prospect of a slow death. But it turned out to be slower than any prediction. A few days on and that thing was still there moving where only my eyes could reach - behind the washing machine, dish washer and kitchen sink. It took about two weeks until I finally spotted a motionless fluffy grey thing in the narrow space between the washing machine and the dish washer. I pushed it with the help of an umbrella and... man, it was huge! Carefully put on a plastic bag and gone for good. Two weeks after, I learned that it hadn't been alone as the cleaning lady spotted the remains of its chewing companion in my parents' old bedroom.
Rodents that come from the sewage pipe up to the third floor and just stick around... you just don't want to meet them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home