Artychoking

Em busca de alcachofras. A blog by Pedro Nunes

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

I was having a tuna sandwich when something went wrong and all of a sudden I was sucked into space. I found myself in the distant galaxy of Valpolicela (no relation) and am using this device to send signals to my earthbound comrades. Because I am confused I often pretend to be Spiff the intergalactic explorer extraordinaire. When I am bored I collect artichokes, therefore the name of this blog.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Guerrilla Girls

I hold respect for feminism - although some of the feminists I met happen to betray their ideals by often being just as patronising as the male-dominated world they stand against. Feminism is an unfair battle. Whereas most are keen in supporting social equality and the abolition of classes, few feel at ease with women having the same power as men in the work sphere. Nobody approves of people living in slumps for all their lives while others buy a new car every year. But for most it feels natural to see women staying at home and keeping the house flourishing while men bring home their hard-earned cash. If it feels natural for them then let that be, one would say.
In academia, I noticed throughout the years how any research which in some way addressed issues of class power and the social divide would receive a cheer of approval from the community. When it addressed the issue of gender inequalities the cheer of approval was even more noticeable... but only because it solely came from the female staff. Any questions from the male side? Er... Gender studies are an enclave in social sciences. Only queer and popular music studies seem to be just as segregated. And if it is so in academia we can imagine how it is in the real world where people are less prone to think outside the frame of their happy little lives.
When I visited London I found these nice posters/postcards from this feminist group called the Guerrilla Girls. The Guerrilla Girls are a group of feminist artists which established itself in New York in the 1980s to promote women in the arts. They wear gorilla masks and nobody - not even their husbands and relatives - know who they are. You can check more about them here.






2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, many of today's women think that liberation comes in the form of pornography, pretending to make out with their girlfriends for their boyfriend's pleasure or being a Paris-Lindsay-Britney babe. What the Guerrilla Girls were accomplishing reminds me of the dada movement and impacts me so much more than what we see today.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Nunes said...

Very true.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home