Artychoking

Em busca de alcachofras. A blog by Pedro Nunes

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

I was having a tuna sandwich when something went wrong and all of a sudden I was sucked into space. I found myself in the distant galaxy of Valpolicela (no relation) and am using this device to send signals to my earthbound comrades. Because I am confused I often pretend to be Spiff the intergalactic explorer extraordinaire. When I am bored I collect artichokes, therefore the name of this blog.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Husker Du - Warehouse: Songs and Stories

When I was in my early twenties I was a little heartbroken and took my revenge against the world by being a huge Husker Du fan. Their final album "Warehouse: Songs and Stories" was where it all began for me. Their fuzz-driven melancholy which merged melodic punk, psychedelia and electric folk was an inspiration and "Warehouse" was where the mix fell in the right place (although diehard fans will claim either "Zen Arcade" or "New Day Rising" as their finest hour). Mould’s songs here are nothing short of brilliant especially “Ice Cold Ice”, “It’s Not Peculiar”, “Up in the Air” and “No Reservations”. Hart also pens some great moments with “She’s a Woman (And Now He’s a Man)”, “She Floated Away” and the killer finale “You Can Live at Home”. It is hardly noticeable that Hart and Mould were falling apart by then (although they might be addressing one another in some of the lyrics) as the interplay between the two excels any of the Huskers previous efforts. Hart’s back up harmonies in “Ice Cold Ice” are mesmerizing as is Mould’s guitar solo in “She’s a Woman” and these are just two examples on why they could never be quite as good once they went solo.
The lyrics are not quite as stunning as the songs but, man, did I buy into all those bleak images of heartbreak, loneliness and suicide. Stuff like “Taking all of this is taking all of me/ Sometimes I wished I had the energy/ When it falls apart like fragments of our lives/ Give a bit to live and give a lot to die” or “Pass away the hours/ Hear the footsteps of the past/ Walking up the stairs of time/ Knowing that I’m trapped” used to make my day then.
I laughed when Nirvana went big with “Nevermind”. Their stuff was similar to the Huskers but they were more successful because they had a much cleaner production. And because Kurt Cobain was better looking than Bob Mould. And he married Courtney Love whereas Mould was a reclusive gay (something I learned about later). And Kurt committed suicide whereas Mould went to become a scriptwriter for the World Championship Wrestling...

1 Comments:

Blogger Nunes said...

In retrospect, I think Husker Du had great songs in all their albums but Zen Arcade is a bit hardcore punk for my taste and New Day Rising, Flip Your Wig and Candy Apple Grey have some flaws in it. Warehouse has a couple of weak moments too but overall stands better in terms of songwriting.
I like Bob Mould first solo album which is a departure from the Husker Du sound but a necessary one - it sounds like someone leaving rehab and coming to terms with the past. Sugar were good too but it sounded like Mould was catching up with the times then (Pixies, grunge, MBV) rather than leading them. Grant Hart first solo album is fine. I lost track with both solo stuff long ago - I had a quick listen at Mould's Last Dog and Pony Show but could not enjoy it at all.
If you thought the Joan Rivers' clip is bizarre you should check this one (notice the grannies fan base at th start):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUMlQPGZhPY

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home