Icons overrated?


On the 40th anniversary of The Beatles' "Sgt. Peppers", the album's legacy was put into scrutiny again by rock critics and journalists all over the world. Is it still the best album of all time? Or is it the most overrated? Does it still make sense to ask? Probably not if only for the sake of music argument. It is now disputed as to whether Peppers is even the best Beatles' album. Personally, I think that both "Revolver" and the "Magical Mistery Tour" soundtrack are superior as song collections and that, despite being flawed, the "White Album" broke new ground more than Peppers. I think "Sgt. Peppers" is a good album but its canonization probaby has more to do with other factors (time of release, engineering prowess, artwork) than with the songs. Some critics agree with this while others still think that "Sgt. Peppers" is the definite article. Some critics don't even think the Beatles were that good. It just takes all views which says a lot about the postmodern status of music writing. One thing that can't be disputed is that "Sgt. Peppers" is a sixties icon, the one album which best symbolizes the summer of love - especially for those who did not live through it. Me being one of those who were not born yet when the summer of love happened, I can easily accept the album being the one which best sums up that moment. But that's when you know then icons don't mean much...
Or maybe they do... Jeff Buckley made a very wise career move when he went for a swim in the Mississipi with his boots on. With a near perfect first album behind and a struggle to deliver the goods on his second one, an early tragic death could only ensure him a God-like status and a escape from ordinariness. He stands next to Kurt Cobain as the last rock'n roll icon. Few contest his genius and that's why I was awestruck by this article by Jude Rogers in the Guardian's blog where she dismisses Buckley as the Christine Aguillera of alternative rock. While Buckley was certainly more talented than Aguillera, I partly agree with some of Rogers' anti-Buckley arguments: that he veered at stages towards self-indulgence in his vocal delivery, often lacking control and subtlety. That he was a bit too hystrionic at times - something that may be proved on his posthumous live recordings. I would add as I did elsewhere in this blog that for all his effortless vocal delivery his father Tim was a better singer. But I still think that "Grace" is a very good album. The singing is still for the most awesome while also being an element in the incredible musical dynamics and shifts which should be credited to Jeff and the great musicians who were backing him. The range of influences from Led Zeppelin to Nina Simone and Tim Buckley himself was nothing to be taken for granted. Who cares or can tell whether it came from the heart or was calculated? It was balanced and displayed with wit and a clear understanding of each one's very substance. It is still an album which pushed the boundaries of rock in 1993 and paved the way for many rock acts (for the better and the worse).
So, I am sorry for not taking a radical stand on both icons but I leave it that way. Only James Blunt and Nick Drake can slowly kill and bring me back to life, respectively, I'm afraid.


11 Comments:
I agree with you completely on Sgt. Pepper's. The album isn't the Beatles best or the best album ever but is simply the Beatles seizing upon the moment a generation shifted. They took charge of their careers, altered their look and stopped performing. Sgt. Pepper's received more hype than a new McCartney release from Starbucks and the kids with flowers in their hair and crabs in their genitalia bought it up because the Beatles were their musical gods. I'll take 3/4 of the White Album, Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour over Sgt. Pepper's, but I do think it also has some fine moments.
Jeff Buckley to me is a shadow of his father and while his Grace album reflects many tastes and influences, I find him to be all of everything and none of something. He wears other genres like clothes but exerts no real sound of his own. His voice and his delivery seem to be trying too hard. I find him off-putting, much in the same way I do with Rufus Wainwright (another child who pales in comparison to his parents). His death has made him larger than he would have been had he continued to record. Kurt Cobain, I believe, was a far greater talent who developed his own voice and passion, but his self-destructive choices (drugs, Courtney, guns) ate him up. What he might have created had he lived would be much more interesting.
The Christina Aguilera of indie rock? Well perhaps that's a complement as Christina is by far the most talented of the dance pop queens.
Yes, it looks like everybody agrees on this one. Revolver is the best, White Album may be a mess but it has loads of great songs that outmatch Sgt Pepper's, and Mystery Tour is the best collection of songs they put out although it is a bit of a "Frankenstein" album. Back to SPLHCB, I still think it is a very good album, very well produced, and of all the Beatles' albums the one that sounds more like a whole unity, and one of the best albums of an year when lots of now-classic albums were released.
Is Jeff Buckley overrated? I don't know, he didn't do that much, but Grace (the only album published while he was alive) is excellent. Of course, after his death, his mother and Columbia have been outrageously milking the cow, resulting in sometimes poor, uninteresting albums. Who wants to have a fifth live version of Mojo Pin?
I don't know if he was a better singer than his father – Tim was more versatile, I guess, but also more anoying...
Rating him as the Christina Agulera of indie is amusing but unfair. Miss Aguilera's sure has a powerful voice (and she so-knows it) but her rollercoaster singing really makes me sick. Wake up girl, this is no school contest anymore.
I have to admit that I am not familiar with Aguilera. There's a whole generation of pop queens that I am missing except for Sugababes who I sometimes get caught whistling one of their tunes.
I prefer 1000 times a shaved Britney Spears to Miss Aguilera's acrobatics.
Either this last comment is Joana practising her English skills on the net or João's taste is being dangerously driven...
Indeed! I am unsure of the Spears comment, although I do agree that Christina does the Mariah rollercoaster technique way too much. I have the feeling that Aguilera will be around in 10 years whereas Britney will be on the surreal life #356.
You the feeling that Aguilera will be around in 10 years! Are you a secret fan? Only an admirer of Miss Aguilera would believe that.
Whereas Britney already achieved immortality by shaving her head. Long live Britney!!
Not a fan of Christina but she does have the lung power to be another Mariah Carey whereas Britney is wondering why she couldn't go to jail!
Jail sounds better than Mariah Carey!
I think Joao has a point in questioning whether Britney's shaven hair was a commercial suicide or ensured her immortal status. We'll have to see...
But mostly I am a bit bugged to see you two stretching an argument on Spears and Aguilera... I suspect João has lost control over his most precious asset - his immaculate music taste - to the twins. And Marc is secretly a chart-pop lover disguised as an indie-pop fundamentalist.
The sad truth is: nowadays I drive the twins to school listening to "Man, I feel like a woman!" by Shania Twain at Matilde's request ("Louder, dad! Louder!"). And, yes, Joana likes Britney's "Toxic" quite a lot.
But there's no room for Agui in my iPod!
Post a Comment
<< Home