Artychoking

Em busca de alcachofras. A blog by Pedro Nunes

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

I was having a tuna sandwich when something went wrong and all of a sudden I was sucked into space. I found myself in the distant galaxy of Valpolicela (no relation) and am using this device to send signals to my earthbound comrades. Because I am confused I often pretend to be Spiff the intergalactic explorer extraordinaire. When I am bored I collect artichokes, therefore the name of this blog.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Controlo de segurança?

Eu bem fiz os possíveis para que a minha passagem pelo security check da Continental Airlines desse num bom filme. Cabelo comprido, barba de quatro dias, fotografia comprometedora no passaporte e seringas na bagagem de mão. Mas népias... O controlo de segurança nada quis com Pedro "probably a Bin Laden" Nunes. Passei sempre, sem problemas e sem uma única questão, para além das de circunstância ("o que faz nos EUA", "onde vai ficar", etc.). Para a próxima regresso com uma garrafa de nitrato de glicerina, disfarçada de Azeite Galo e pronta a explodir.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wei said...

I went to the States about one year after the 9/11 attack with long hairs (you've seen the rock-style-long-hair Wei before and know how it looke like). I'm so gald that I didn't look any Mid-Eastern or fundamentalist. I guess the only thing American immigration officers would usually worried about is illegal over-stay or employment.

By the way, how long do you plan to wander in the States? Any chance to come to the other shore of the Pacific?

1:09 PM  
Blogger Nunes said...

Hey, I didn't know you could read Portuguese. How did you read the reference to long hair in my post?
But I have been back in Portugal since the 26th. It was a short time for all the places I visited and I hope I'll be back for longer, especially to NY.
I could not use a computer while I was travelling so I am putting pics and writing my impressions now.

Yes, I am hoping to travel to your stomping grounds some time but can't tell when.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Wei said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Wei said...

Well, sorry I never let you know that I'd spent an awful lot of time when I was young in linguistics and Latin. Actually, I've been trying to decipher and read carefully the Portuguese part on your blog with my rusted knowledge of Latin and poor Spanish and French.

Although there is no such word as 'comrpido' in Spanish, I happen to know there is a river called 'Rio Comprido' in Brazil, which is the 'Long River'. I'm particuarly impressed by 'comprido' when I learnt it, bucause for me this word is unique to most European languages - it's not a Latin- nor Greek-rooted word. Moreover, interestingly, I was told that in Brazilian Portuguese 'comprido' is less used than 'longo'.

As for 'cabelo', it's obviously the Portuguese equivalent to Spanish 'cabello' and a derivative of Latin 'capillus'.

Nevertheless, I 'read' rather that 'speak' most of the languages I learnt before.

2:20 AM  
Blogger Nunes said...

Wei, you really have a way with foreign languages. Not only you speak and write the better English I have seen in a foreigner but you are able to understand most of what I write in my blog!

Did the word "arguido" get to Taiwan too? Do you have an equivalent in Chinese?

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home