Two of my all-time favourite bands have new releases. R.E.M. are remembering past glories with their "And I Feel Fine: Best of the I.R.S. years 1982-1987" just when they seem to be running out of steam in their once brilliant career. For now forget the present and savour their faultless selection of songs from their excellent I.R.S. years. How Michael Stipe sounded better when his words were barely understood. How everything fit perfectly when Bill Berry was onboard grounding Peter Buck's rippling
arpeggios and Mike Mills jumping melodic bass lines. And how they progressed in those years without ever losing a sense of their identity as a four-piece...... And Yo La Tengo have just released a fine new album titled "I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass" which sees them covering different styles in typical white album fashion.
Altogether, not a new R.E.M. album nor a great new YLT album but still a good starting point for those unfamiliar with one of the best bands of all time and another enjoyable ride to one of the best of the last twenty years.
Check R.E.M. and Yo La Tengo in action here and here.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home