Artychoking

Em busca de alcachofras. A blog by Pedro Nunes

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

I was having a tuna sandwich when something went wrong and all of a sudden I was sucked into space. I found myself in the distant galaxy of Valpolicela (no relation) and am using this device to send signals to my earthbound comrades. Because I am confused I often pretend to be Spiff the intergalactic explorer extraordinaire. When I am bored I collect artichokes, therefore the name of this blog.

Monday, November 27, 2006

The Rolling Stones - "Out of Our Heads"

Whenever I fear that I haven't matured enough as a person over the last twenty years, I always remember that sometime when I was in my late teens, I recklessly sold my vinyl copy of "Out of Our Heads". Then I know that I am wiser now. I didn't even sell it with the purpose of making a large sum of money out of the classic English edition. At the time ABCKO had just reissued onto CD the American versions of their London/Decca catalogue which largely improved the quality of sound of their mono releases - but otherwise rearranged the tracklist with little regard for the original UK version. I went for them. But some three years ago, I redeemed myself by getting a copy of the original mono recording which had just been reissued on CD with digipak and singles and alternate versions as bonustracks. Smashing!
"Out of Our Heads" is a great rock'n roll album and my favourite Stones' album outside of the golden 1968-72 years. At the time, Jagger and Richards were coming out as fine songwriters on their own as well as refining their take on rhythm'n blues standards and extending their covers' palete to soul. "Heads" kicks off with "She Said Yeah", one of their most raucous (and underappreciated) cover versions. One minute and a half into the album and you are already into air guitar mandatory mode. Even better is "Mercy Mercy" which has a fuzz driven riff fuelling Jagger's raw delivery. Great song. Whereas previous Stones albums were mainly focused on blues and rhythm'n blues, "Heads" has two excellent soul covers, Russell's "Cry to Me" and Jamison's "That's How Strong My Love Is". Although the band sounds great, it is Jagger who steals the show, particularly in these two tracks where the raw energy in his vocals commands the listeners attention. Jagger and Richards' own penned songs, "Heart of Stone", "I'm Free" and Gotta Get Away" are excellent although slightly losing in comparision with the singles they were putting out - an unfair comparision with them being "Satisfaction", "The Last Time" and "Get Off My Cloud"!
"Heads" is where the Stones' growing wiseness is still balanced with their reverence for tradition. Sleaziness, misogyny, heroin and the devil were still a couple of years away from them. It was only rock'n roll then and it was so good they didn't have to tell us that they liked it.
Favourite album cover ever as well and that's why you get the large image size.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, GREAT album! It was a huge mistake to get rid of the vinyl. The cover alone would be reason enough to keep it. But CD had arrived with its "better" sound quality and the first thing to do was to replace the old vinyl as soon as possible. Very unwise. Specially if you think of this album. First of all this album SHOULD BE LISTENED TO IN MONO. It was originally recorded and mixed in mono and that's the way it sounds better. The stereo mixes (even the super audio) are full of "holes" and it feels like you are listening to a completely different song. Fortunately some Decca bootlegs were issued with the original mono mix and a load of extra tracks including all those golden singles. These bootlegs sound raw and punchy, much like the original vinyl, and these are the ones every Stones fan should go for. Cheers!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Nunes said...

I didn't remember it being a bootleg. After all the label DECCA is on the sleeve. But now I remember buying the album and also "Let it Bleed" in a Stirling record shop and both were in the bootleg section, indeed.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This Decca issue is in fact some kind of a riddle. For more information check this entries:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decca_Records
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4791CDE47A97120CEDC3D0AC7A17DF71AFE4DFF9A1D21485A92A52554870327B20FA48393FDFB74AB7AAFE02CA45A099FC3E456FCD6623F2DFC93&sql=10:ylf5zff2eh5k
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4791CDE47A97120CEDC3D0AC7A17DF71AFE4DFF9A1D21485A92A52554870327B20FA48393FDFB74AB7AAFE02CA45A099FC3E456FCD6623F2DFC93&sql=10:qmk9kettsq7m

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home