Artychoking

Em busca de alcachofras. A blog by Pedro Nunes

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

I was having a tuna sandwich when something went wrong and all of a sudden I was sucked into space. I found myself in the distant galaxy of Valpolicela (no relation) and am using this device to send signals to my earthbound comrades. Because I am confused I often pretend to be Spiff the intergalactic explorer extraordinaire. When I am bored I collect artichokes, therefore the name of this blog.

Friday, February 02, 2007

War without tears

In 1980, Peter Gabriel released this song whose lyric is a diatribe against a very popular program in Europe called Jeux Sans Frontiers (Games Without Frontiers). The program was launched in 1965 and was broadcasted in many European countries until 1999 but reached the height of its fame in the 1980s. In the contest, teams from different European nations played silly games often involving water, outlandish costumes and the most inimaginable obstacles. It was meant to symbolize the unity between the European nations in the wake of the European Economic Community in 1957. Gabriel may have had a point in pinning it as war without tears. But now looking at the boom of reality shows like Big Brother and all the cynical, outrageous and calculated racist bullying that happened in the recent UK celebrity edition one has to wonder whether in 1980 any of us, including the always wise and sharp Peter Gabriel, knew anything at all. We obviously didn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home