Artychoking

Em busca de alcachofras. A blog by Pedro Nunes

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

I was having a tuna sandwich when something went wrong and all of a sudden I was sucked into space. I found myself in the distant galaxy of Valpolicela (no relation) and am using this device to send signals to my earthbound comrades. Because I am confused I often pretend to be Spiff the intergalactic explorer extraordinaire. When I am bored I collect artichokes, therefore the name of this blog.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Thin White Rope - "In the Spanish Cave"

What a great guitar album this one is. TWR are one of the most underrated bands of its era and as I got back to "In the Spanish Cave" I wonder how can they be so neglected. Singer/frontman Guy Kyser's harsh gutted singing plus his twin guitar act with Roger Kunkel were a truly powerful force. Their music was a blend of influences including Johnny Cash, Captain Beefheart, Crazy Horse and Black Sabbath and their lyrics were dark surreal tales that David Lynch would not have disowned for a script. Not every song in this album is a classic but a handful of them are nothing short of mesmerizing. Just listen to Mr. Limpet, It's Ok, Red Sun, Elsie Crashed the Party and, above else, July and feel the sound of guitars so cleverly interlocked (like Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd on Marquee Moon) and so loud you feel they are going to leak through the speakers any time. "July" sounds like Tom Waits backed by Crazy Horse and should go down as an instant classic. Learn more about them here and here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home